Advertisement

Itchy Nipples

Itchy Nipples

Postby JohnDoe1963 » Thu May 19, 2005 11:03 pm

I'm a guy (42 years old), not a gal, and I have the following problem:

About a month ago, my right nipple started itching. I didn't think anything of it at first. Then a week later my left nipple started to itch once in awhile. Again, not thinking much of it. However, the itching got worse and worse, to the point where I would wake myself up in the middle of the night scratching. The right one itches far more and worse than the left one. And where the areola use to be soft and pink the upper right quarter is very hard and stiff, like the milk ducts are all hardened together. I tried using Hydrocortison cream, and that only provides temporary relief (for 4 hours or so), and I've been using the cream for 3 weeks.

I haven't noticed any discharge, although maybe from scratching I've seen a clear substance at the top of the skin. I tried changing detergents, and shirts (cotton to polyester). Still itching. I even tried plucking all my nipple hairs around the areola, thinking maybe it was irritating the nipple, but that didn't relieve the itch either.

I do not notice any discoloration of the nipple other than the redness from time to time, as I scratch like stray dog under a porch somewhere.

Being a guy, unless I'm bleeding or the bone is sticking out of the skin, I doubt I'll go to the Doctor and complain about something like this. So any help anyone could provide would be appreciated.
JohnDoe1963

Itchy Nipples

Postby SweetLoveChops » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:18 am

You probably have itchy boob like the rest of us.....wish we knew the problem
SweetLoveChops

Itchy Nipples

Postby Anon » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:42 am

Reading through what you have described, i would seriously reccommend getting yourself checked out by your GP. There is a new form of breast cancer (which can also affect men) called Pagets Disease. I am not trying to scare you but please don't let your male pride get in the way of something which could be potentially dangerous. From what i have read, most cases of this are benign, but you never know.

I have been looking up the disease myself as I have similar symptoms.

Please go get yourself checked out. Doctor's see this kind of thing everyday.

Take care...
Anon

Itchy Nipples

Postby Ernie Sty » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:14 pm

I am a 40 year old male with the exact same problem. The itchiness started slowly and has been getting progressively worse. I was assuming it had to do with a hormone imbalance due to my obesity, but I'm not sure. Do you have a weight problem at all?
Ernie Sty

Itchy Nipples

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:41 pm

I have what sounds like the same exact symptons. I wake up pretty much every night because of it, sometimes multiple times. I have changed soaps, shampoo, laundry detergent. I've tried all natural, hypoallergenic. Nothing seems to help. Hydrocortisone provide VERY temporary relief, sometimes only a few minutes. I used to weigh about 215 at my abolute heaviest, I now weigh about 180. I have alway had "man boobs" when I was overweight and even now, when I consider myself in pretty good shape and am pretty active. I also have itching behind my knees and around my ankle. That may be an unrelated problem though. I have had minor skin problems on and off most of my life, but they usually go away before too long. This doesn't seem to want to go away.

If anyone has any info, links to resources and medical info would be appreciated.
Anonymous

Itchy Nipples

Postby MiaFlor » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:05 am

I am 38 years old. I had experienced the same itchy sensation for the pasr 2 months. I have a cyst behind the nipple area. I am going to have my mamo soon. I never had this itchy feeling before, ;it is crazy!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnDoe1963:
I'm a guy (42 years old), not a gal, and I have the following problem:

About a month ago, my right nipple started itching. I didn't think anything of it at first. Then a week later my left nipple started to itch once in awhile. Again, not thinking much of it. However, the itching got worse and worse, to the point where I would wake myself up in the middle of the night scratching. The right one itches far more and worse than the left one. And where the areola use to be soft and pink the upper right quarter is very hard and stiff, like the milk ducts are all hardened together. I tried using Hydrocortison cream, and that only provides temporary relief (for 4 hours or so), and I've been using the cream for 3 weeks.

I haven't noticed any discharge, although maybe from scratching I've seen a clear substance at the top of the skin. I tried changing detergents, and shirts (cotton to polyester). Still itching. I even tried plucking all my nipple hairs around the areola, thinking maybe it was irritating the nipple, but that didn't relieve the itch either.

I do not notice any discoloration of the nipple other than the redness from time to time, as I scratch like stray dog under a porch somewhere.

Being a guy, unless I'm bleeding or the bone is sticking out of the skin, I doubt I'll go to the Doctor and complain about something like this. So any help anyone could provide would be appreciated.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
MiaFlor

Itchy Nipples

Postby Cess » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:58 pm

I posted under the itchy breast link and have the similar problems. Major itching, no relief with a change in soaps etc, waking up at night to itch.
Cess

Itchy Nipples

Postby bama_banger » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:47 am

I'm a 20-something man from Alabama and I've had itchy nipples for a while. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to some icing that was rubbed on them (dont ask).Anyway, then I thought it was a fungus or worse. I was too embarrased to see a doctor so I asked a friend. He suggested Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. I thought it was a joke but I tried it and its a miracle..it works! Maybe its the milk in the dressing or the herbs. Whatever, I dont itch now and I owe it all to ranch dressing. Try it!
bama_banger

Itchy Nipples

Postby PhinsKid23434 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:50 pm

Im 14 about to turn 15 and i have the exact same problem. Even the clear liguid from scratching. I went to the doctor a while back he said it had something to do with hormones but conviently that day my nipple was a little better so he didn't see it at full well w/e u call it. Anyway he said this hormone thing could last 6 months to years btu idk if he understood exactly what it was.. And not recently ive develope a rash around my niple and extending to under my arm pit this is hell let me tell u i thought the nipple was itchy before now my whole left upper body is a bounch of itchy bumps and one itchy nipple. And now im scared because recently my right nipple gets a little itchy.. Im gonna have to go to a real doctor this time not a pediastrisian or how ever u spell it. Well anyhelp appreciate it
PhinsKid23434

Itchy Nipples

Postby k_nivek » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:17 am

I have read your postings because of my recent problem. I am 51 and have had itching left nipple for 2 days. It began one morning waking to find a new to pee and when I moved too fast to get up, a "Charle-horse" began in my left leg. When I stopped quickly, it eased but I felt the same electric shock in the back of my left arm, which stopped fast. But then the "Electric Shock" was at my left nipple. Not in my chest as if a heart attack but just at the nipple. "OUCH". Since then, I get itching of the left nipple. Funny thing is my wife is complaining of the same itch too.
k_nivek

Itchy Nipples

Postby anonymous » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:10 pm

Hi, i'm a teenager living in europe and i've been experiencing something very much like everyone else, very itchy nipples; both nipples. It's really CRAZY and ANNOYING cos it doesnt really affect me during the day but it comes during the night and wakes me up from my well deserved sleep occasionally. I'm not overweight or anything like that cos i weigh 128lbs. I cant even guess what to do bout it cos i dont even know wat the hell this thing is (i've tried researching online but most of the info i find is for breasfeeding mothers; which i'm so not doing). It doesnt turn red when it itches but i notice a clear liquid tho. It feels really numb afterwards. I have decided not to see a doctor or anything like that because i dont wanna hear anything like, 'You've got the newest form of breast cancer' or any crap like that but all the same, i SURE DO NEED HELP.
anonymous

Itchy Nipples

Postby NY_Guy_1959 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:43 pm

Same thing. My right nipple is itchy all friggin day, for about 1-2 months now. Left one every once in a while, but no where near as bad as right. No discharge, no scaling, no redness, just itchy. Right on the tip, not areola. No bumps either.
I will ask wife about Hidden Valley (yeah right) GMAFB.
Fuggedaboudit
NY_Guy_1959

Itchy Nipples

Postby horsenarounddeb » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:53 am

Hi, I have been suffering with a right itchy nipple which may extend into the gland pockets itself. (That is unclear.) But I am wondering about it being a yeast infection. I have only ever had one yeast infection (vaginal) and I found a mild vinegar solution (part vinegar/part water) was helpful during the treatment of that...so I tried soaking my nipple in vinegar and I do think it helps. (That might be why Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing was effective.) As well, to deal with the itching, using Desenex spray or Desenex topical cream has been helpful although it does not go away. That may be because once the itch stops, I stop using it and yeast can continue to be on the clothing, etc. and will recur easily. (Especially when using cold or warm water when washing clothes. I now boil my t-shirts, pajamas, underwear, etc. to try to get rid of the yeast if it is there. I think it has helped.) So if I were better organized I should continue using both for several weeks...I just don't think to do so once the itch goes away...and then it comes back again. There is some info on the internet about yeast infections in nipples and mammary although it is related to nursing moms who no doubt get these type of yeast infections more often than the rest of us. (I nursed my kids for years and never had one yeast infection, but maybe the hormones are changing as I am getting older.) Anyway, I hope this is helpful.
horsenarounddeb

Itchy Nipples

Postby scubapro » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:30 pm

Try putting a little petroleum jelly on each nipple. It will work for 4 or 5 days at a time.....It will go away in the summer.

------------------
scubapro

Itchy Nipples

Postby canada_guy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:24 pm

Hey all,

About 5 weeks ago I suddenly got a tingly feeling behind my left nipple, and some itchiness as well. Since then, the swelling has stuck around (very mild), but the itching has gotten worse - and there is some raised, hard skin around my nipple too. It's become scaly and hard. The breast tenderness underneath also seems to be getting worse.

My doc told me it was nothing to worry about. I went back to see him when it progressed, and he still told me not to worry but sent me for a mammogram (lots of fun for a tall guy - I had to bend the knees to fit my man-boob inthe machine). The radiologist said it was just glandular tissue, not warranting a biopsy. I was relieved at first, but that was a couple of weeks ago and the symptoms are ongoing.

Everything I read on the internet suggests that this is either Paget's Disease or Inflammatory Breast Cancer - which won't show up on a mammo or ultrasound. But I think that because it's so rare, the docs are dismissing it as a possibility. I have another appt with my doc tomorrow - should I demand to be referred to an oncologist, or what? I'd love to cling to the hope that it's something else, but I can find no reference anywhere to these symptoms EXCEPT where it's cancer.

I'm 38, have a young family and am scared out of my wits about this. Any advice?
canada_guy

Next

Return to Breast Cancer Diagnosis