Advertisement

New Mammogram machine

New Mammogram machine

Postby bdgeorge » Fri Mar 10, 2000 10:48 pm

I heard part of a piece on TV regarding a new mammogram machine that does not need to compress the breasts. I did not catch the name of that machine. Does anyone know what it is and how it works for breast cancer screening?

Please E-Mail me at:
bdgeorge@ktc.com
Barbara Denny George
bdgeorge

New Mammogram machine

Postby Mary » Mon Mar 13, 2000 5:32 pm

The only machines I've heard of that are FDA approved for screening or diagnostic follow-up to a mammogram are Ultrasound, MRI (sometimes) and Tscan imaging.

Any other details you can recall?

Mary
Mary

New Mammogram machine

Postby Ken L. Smith » Sun Apr 23, 2000 11:34 pm

FYI: I sent an e-mail to BDG regarding this, but others might want to know about a dedicated mammography machine that saw demonstrated in Castro Valley California about 5 years ago that allowed the patient to control the movement and pressure of the paddle. Using a button she held in her hand, she could "push the limit" of the pressure, knowing that she had full control of when it stopped coming down. The results have been that the average mammogram has been better, due to the fact that the women were compressing more than the technicians do. I have not heard about a non-compressing mammography device.
Ken L. Smith - Breast Health Facilitator for ACS
Ken L. Smith

New Mammogram machine

Postby daffodile » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:52 pm

I didn't get the name of the machine. They are using it in England. A friend in Canada asked her Doctor when are they getting it. He replied "Not for a long time since it is expensive." I did see the demonstration on TV. The woman lays on her stomach and there is a hole where her breast were placed. This gave a 360 degree of imagery and surrounding tissue. Can't wait till we get it in the USA.
daffodile

New Mammogram machine

Postby mstoica » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:33 pm

Originally posted byThe only machines I've heard of that are FDA approved for screening or diagnostic follow-up to a mammogram are Ultrasound, MRI (sometimes) and Tscan imaging.

Any other details you can recall?

Mary

I believe you are reffering to CT cone beam machine which does not utilises compression and offeres 3 D images.
mstoica

Return to Medical Imaging