Advertisement

CT Results: Hypodensity

Postby Stan » Wed Aug 23, 2000 3:49 pm

I have been having headaches over an extended period of time, one of which was serious enough that I went to Emergency and was given a CT scan. The results showed an area of "hypodensity".

The doctor has asked me to do a follow-up CT scan, this time with a dye injection for contrast. Alternatively, an MRI is being considered.

My questions:
1) What does "hypodensity" mean?
2) What could this mean, i.e., worst case and best case scenarios?
3) What would be the best follow-up test in this case; another CT scan using a dye injection or an MRI?

Many thanks.
Stan
Stan

Postby MarkM » Wed Aug 23, 2000 6:39 pm

A “hypodensity” on a CT image means some portion of anatomy is appears less dense than the surrounding tissue. The hypodensity may or may not be anything to worry about and can often be caused by a cyst. It sounds like your doctor is doing the right thing by following up with a CT scan with contrast dye. The dye will help show whether the hypodensity is of any concern.

Good luck! I’d be curious to hear about your results.
MarkM

Postby Stan » Thu Aug 24, 2000 11:23 pm

Mark,
Many thanks for your speedy response.
I have a follow-up question on the CT brain scan that Emergency proposes to do, if you don't mind.

The problem I have is that I am alergic to
medical dye; or at least I had an alergic reaction to having had dye injected to do a spinal x-ray a few years ago during which I ended up being hospitalized for three days. So I am nervous about what reaction I might have to have a dye injected to do a CT on my brain.

My Questions:
1) Do you have any comments/advice?
2) Is an MSI a better diagnostic tool to determine what the "hypodensity" in the brain really is, or a CT with dye injection?
3) Is it possible that the hypodensity is nothing? After all, it would seem to me that if there was "something (e.g., a tumor) it would sould up on the CT scan as "hyperdensity".

Many thanks.
Stan

-------------------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkM:
A “hypodensity” on a CT image means some portion of anatomy is appears less dense than the surrounding tissue. The hypodensity may or may not be anything to worry about and can often be caused by a cyst. It sounds like your doctor is doing the right thing by following up with a CT scan with contrast dye. The dye will help show whether the hypodensity is of any concern.

Good luck! I’d be curious to hear about your results.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been having headaches over an extended period of time, one of which was serious enough that I went to Emergency and was given a CT scan. The results showed an area of "hypodensity".

The doctor has asked me to do a follow-up CT scan, this time with a dye injection for contrast.
Alternatively, an MRI is being considered.

My questions:
1) What does "hypodensity" mean?
2) What could this mean, i.e., worst case and best case scenarios?
3) What would be the best follow-up test in this case; another CT scan using a dye injection or an MRI?

Many thanks.
Stan
Stan

Return to Medical Imaging