Advertisement

post operative radiation for 90 year old breast cancer

Postby viva » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:18 am

Mom is 90 and could not handle radiation after three treatments. She also has a pacemake. No studies have been done on how pacemaker leads are effected. Now they want to try herceptin - which effects the heart muscle which is already damaged. I do't even know what the HER2 level is and still have to find this out. Would her life expectancy be the same without treatment. Certainly the quality of her life is not good and is getting worse.
viva

Postby vc2 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:41 am

Is there an epidemic of cancer going on for women over 85? My mother who will be 91 this month just had a cancerous tumor removed from her breast. The doctor said that she was the 3rd woman in that many weeks she had treated for the same thing. She also said that women of mom's age were not being treated with anything except for tamoxifen. Does anyone know anything about old age breast cancer?
vc2

Re: post operative radiation for 90 year old breast cancer

Postby mobrien322 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:48 am

My mother is 91 and received a stage 2 breast cancer diagnosis. After a mastectomy, she was supposed to have 30 radiation treatments. After the first week, she had a bad reaction to the radiation. In addition to the bright red burn marks over her chest, neck, and shoulder inside the field markings , there was a speckled pink rash covering the entire back and front of her upper body. Nothing brought relief from the burning, itching areas which worsenend with each succeeding week. Ice packs and a steroid pack brought temporary relief. "Alta" was the only suggested cream. Her doctors kept saying to "press on", even though her skin is now raw and extremely painful after what is now 25 treatments. She does not sleep well because of the extreme pain. Yesterday, after applying an ice pack to relieve the pain, I tried to put some burn ointment on, and her skin started bleeding in the area most burned. I called her radiation oncologist to tell him we are "throwing in the towel": she can't endure any more treatments. His reply was to take a four-day break before continuing the final five treatments. Have many patients my mother's age been given this much radiation? Her doctors appear to only look at the magic number, 30 treatments, instead of the condition of the patient's body. Any suggestions? Help!
mobrien322

Postby xiaoguo0722 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:09 pm

According to the Straits Times, Png's first words on waking after surgery were to ask how his girlfriend was.[url=http://www.ghdstation.com/]hair straightening iron[/url]
[url=http://www.ghdstation.com/]hair straight iron[/url]
xiaoguo0722

Postby MaryQ1 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:07 pm

I am so sorry to hear of the pain and discomfort because of radiation treatment. It is so important to use really good skin care during radiation particularly if a patient is elderly. There are a number of good products available such as aloe lotion. I used Recovery Cream that is available on the internet at www.recoverycream.com and it was extremely good. The technicians and nurses should be able to help with suggestions.
MaryQ1

Return to Breast Cancer Screening/Treatment